The original Okmulgee hospital was a three-story brick building built in 1918 and located at 921 N. Okmulgee Street. It was called Okmulgee City Hospital.
After many years of use, Okmulgee City Hospital began to show its age and much renovation would have been needed to update the hospital. It was decided that instead of remodeling the old hospital, to make it a more modern facility, a new medical facility would be built. It was also decided that the new hospital would be a nonprofit entity managed by a corporation.
Construction began on the new hospital after a local businessman donated land for the new facility to be built on. The new facility opened and admitted its first patients on Oct. 20, 1967.
In the years following the hospital’s opening, several major expansions and renovations to the hospital were made. The hospital’s surgery, ER, labor and delivery, outpatient surgery, lobby, snack bar and cafeteria departments were all added in this time. The basement was also renovated and several departments were relocated to the hospital’s new lower level. In 1989, the Geriatric Psychiatric Unit or HOPE Unit, which provides resident care to patients who suffer from mental illnesses, was added to the third floor.
Many changes have been made to the hospital since its creation in 1967. Today, the hospital is a 50-bed acute care unit. The hospital recently began the process of updating the facility and OMH technology. The hospital’s goal is to provide the best quality of health care possible to OMH patients by employing highly trained professionals and the latest technology.